Dehydration can take a toll on your health, especially if you have an ostomy. Maintaining adequate hydration is necessary. Although it can be difficult to keep up with your fluid intake requirements, there are many ways through which you can remain hydrated. This post shares some of the top tips that will help you remain hydrated.
What Causes Dehydration in Ostomates?
Fluid loss is caused by various things such as sweating, breathing, and the like. Anyone who has undergone an ileostomy is at a greater risk of dehydration due to their colon which is responsible for absorbing electrolytes and fluids. If you have just received surgery, you must monitor how much fluid is lost and how much fluid is consumed. As the risk of dehydration declines post-surgery, you still have to ensure proper hydration.
Tips to Stay Hydrates with an Ostomy
- One of the best tips that you need to follow is having a large pitcher of fluids with you at all times. Consume at least one or two pitchers daily depending on your fluid intake requirements as determined by the doctor.
- A hydration backpack might be necessary if you plan on going on long walks, hikes, or other activities that require a lot of effort.
- A bottle with measuring lines might be right fit for you to keep track of your intake.
- Mark your bottle with times to drink at the right time.
- Consider using an app for tracking your intake. It will send you reminders so that you never have to worry about forgetting to consume water.
- Place a glass of water beside your beside before going to sleep. You can drink it the first thing in the morning. Besides, it is also needed for drinking water if you wake up during the night to empty your pouch. Feel free to take a few sips before you head back to sleep.
- If you tend to struggle with drinking from a large water bottle, you can opt for small glasses. It will help ensure that you consume the right amount of fluid.
Get the Right Fluids
Now that you know about the best tips, you also need to make sure that you get the right fluids. Here are some of the best options available since water is not the best option.
- Sports Drinks: Electrolyte drinks are the way to go. They will help you keep going after the surgery. You will find them to be helpful. Powdered sports drinks also make for a great option.
- Electrolyte Solutions: You can also purchase electrolyte solutions from the nearest store to stay hydrated.
- Vegetable Juices: Another great option is vegetable juices. They help you get rehydrated with minimal effort. Besides, they do not cause a sugar spike. Hence, they are a much healthier option.
Once you have finished reading our post, you will know how to keep hydrated with an ostomy. It will make your life a whole lot easier.